Want to skip the full explanation and get to the point? Well, here you go:
My 20s seemed to go by in a blur, largely because my nose was buried in my work. There were lots of experiences I didn’t have and things I didn’t learn. There’s a lot that I did do, but it seems that some of the most fundamental things, especially the things outside of work, are missing.
As of September 2010, I have 8 months until I turn 32, and a lot to do between now and then. This is about getting out of the trap of “when” and moving into the space of now.
The Regret Me Not project officially starts on September 14 and it technically ends when I turn 32 in May. I say technically, because I have a feeling I won’t want to stop. I’ve already started a little early dabbling in my Regret Me Not activities and it is everything I hoped it would be. Whether I officially end or not, May will at least involve a big party to celebrate.
Eight months to experiment, to try things, and to stop putting things off. Between now and then I’m going to squeeze in moving as many things as possible from my “never done” list to my “done” list.
If your mind just went to the gutter, get it out. This isn’t about sex or drugs (although it may be a little bit about rock n’ roll).
My Regret Me Not to do list falls into two major categories (with exciting sub-categories too!):
- General Life Skills (like cooking)
- Artistic/Creative Skills (like lindy hopping and singing)
- Sporty/Fitness Skills (like running)
- General (like sky diving and kite boarding)
- Travel (like going somewhere where they don’t speak English)
- Food (like actually trying mushrooms)
- Books (reading stuff I’ve never read)
- Movies (watching movies I’ve never seen)
- TV (watching shows I’ve never seen)
- Music (listening to stuff I’ve never listened to)
What Am I Missing?
I’ve started my lists for each category, but since in many cases I don’t know what I haven’t done until someone calls me out on it and embarrasses me by their screams of dismay, you can submit your suggestions to me for things I should be doing in every category.